Is The Electrical Wiring In Your Older Home A Safety Risk?
Your house will more than likely need an electrical wiring upgrade if it was built more than 20 years ago. This is because over time, electrical wiring can deteriorate or become damaged. Also, your electrical panel may no longer be able to support the increasing amount of energy needed to power your home effectively.
Overloaded electrical systems and old or faulty wiring can increase the risk of electrical fire in your home. According to Makeitright.ca, an incredible 20% of all house fires in Canada are electrical fires caused by faulty wiring. To keep your family safe and sound, our team of electricians at Kobalt Systems recommends regular electrical inspections and an electrical wiring upgrade for older homes.
What Should You Consider When Deciding Whether Your Home May Need An Electrical Service Upgrade?
How Old Is Your Home And What Type of Wiring Does It Have?
1940’s and Earlier
Homes built before the 1940’s may still have knob and tube wiring, which doesn’t feature a safety casing or ground wire, making it dangerous to work with.
In the 1960’s and 1970’s many homes were built with aluminum wiring, which can become a safety hazard as it ages. This is due to the tendency for its connections to loosen, which can cause electrical fires.
Older electrical wiring isn’t automatically dangerous or faulty, but be aware that some insurance companies won’t offer coverage if your home has knob and tube or aluminum wiring.
Have You Experienced Any Warning Signs?
Warning signs that your wiring may be faulty or overloaded include:
- Circuit Breakers trip or fuses blow regularly
- Electrical panel is crackling or sparking
- Lights flicker or dim when you turn on another appliance
- Outlets or switches are warm to the touch, discoloured or are sparking
- You get a tingling sensation when touching an appliance
- You still have two prong outlets in your home
- There is a persistent burning smell in your home
- There are no Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCI) in kitchens or bathrooms
- You rely on power bars and extension cords due to having too few outlets
These are all signs that something is wrong in your electrical system and should not be ignored. In an emergency situation, you can always call a qualified electrician for help on our Kobalt Systems emergency line.
Do You Have Enough Power For Your Home?
Older homes don’t have the electrical capacity that our modern lifestyles require. Historically, homes only needed around 60 amps to run all the necessary electronics and even as recently as 20 years ago, homes didn’t have the same requirements we need in our current technological age.
With all the electrical appliances, equipment and smart additions that modern families use, around 150 – 200 amps of electricity is needed to safely and successfully run them. If modern appliances are run on a system without enough voltage, they are at risk of damage.
What Will Your Power Needs Be In Years To Come?
When planning an electrical wiring upgrade, consider future-proofing your home’s electrical system to ensure it’s not only up to building codes but able to meet your growing needs. Consider what other electrical requirements your household might have in the coming years:
- Additional computers for a growing family
- Entertainment equipment, smart televisions
- An electric car
- A hot tub or pool
- An in-law suite or rental suite
- Additional light fixtures
- Additional electrical outlets and switches
Kobalt Systems Can Assess Your Electrical Wiring Upgrade Requirements
If answering the questions above has given you any concerns at all about the condition of your home electrical wiring, contact Kobalt Systems for an electrical wiring upgrade consultation today.
What Does an Electrical Wiring Upgrade Involve?
Kobalt System’s team of qualified journeyman electricians will visit your home and conduct a thorough electrical inspection to determine whether your type of wiring and current electrical system is safe and suited to your needs. Among other things, our electricians will search for loose connections, any issues with the circuit breaker panel, test outdoor outlets, determine the types of wiring and determine whether your entire house has proper grounding.
If it is determined that you require new electrical wiring or additional panel amperage in your home, Kobalt Systems will work with you every step of the way.
Our Electrical Panel Upgrade Service Includes:
- An electrical load test to determine your electrical needs
- Working with customers to design a solution that fits your lifestyle and budget
- Coordination of permits and upgrade requests via the City of Victoria, Technical Safety Authority and BC Hydro and arrange for inspection and sign off of completed work
- Minimal disruption when the work takes place at your home. Kobalt Systems offers ON TIME and SATISFACTION guarantees for its work. We arrive on time and leave everything tidy and clean
The thought of rewiring your home may be daunting. You’re likely concerned that it will be a long, messy and expensive task. Rest assured that our careful planning means your electrical upgrade can be completed with minimal disruptions on time and on budget.
While upgrading, you may also want to integrate some smart-home devices into your home. In-home smart technology is more popular and useful than ever and is increasingly built directly into newly built homes.
Smart Home Technology Includes:
- Home automation such as smart appliances
- Lighting control such as motion sensors
- Climate control such as smart thermostats and fans
- Smart security systems with Wi-Fi integration that can be monitored from anywhere on a phone or tablet
- Safety sensing systems such as fire, carbon dioxide or electrical surge alarms that send alerts when triggered
Having smart-home technology and products in your home may lead to reduced insurance bills and can add value to your home too. You could also consider planning your rewiring project at the same time as that kitchen renovation you’ve been dreaming about!
Financing a big home improvement project like an electrical wiring upgrade can be an intimidating prospect, but Kobalt Systems can ease some of that concern by offering full financing through FinanceIt. With no money down and options for monthly or bi-weekly payments, there is no need to delay those important electrical safety upgrades.
If you have any concerns about electrical safety or capacity in your home, Kobalt System’s team of licensed electricians would be glad to visit your property and assess your needs for an electrical wiring upgrade. Based in Victoria, we’re glad to offer services to residents and businesses in the capital region and the South Island. Contact us today to find out more.